if it does not stay at – 30,40 C . I have been researching on the Net and found some basic info but nothing so far as to how often/what size to harvest different wood species. We have many native hardwoods here but this is the best, cleanest stuff Ive found. We call them Rock Maples and they are over abundant in our town in Maine. Isn’t it just as simple as – the more lbs of wood that your shove in the hole, the more heat you get? I am courious about the btu of pecan and swamp chestnut oak and which oak burns the best . If you look at a BTU chart, it has either the highest or 2nd highest rating of all wood that grows in the US. I heat 5,500 sq ft with 130,000 BTU Franks Piping Wood Boiler from Quebec CDN. We love it it burns slower and longer so we don’t have use our wood as fast. Be sure to let it season before burning to know how it should truly burn .Funny Story, I had a friend that cut a storm fallen red oak . Any wisdom out there? I have some upstate PA, that often is recovered when down, and used for firewood. ft. barn/house. Sounds like my neighbor would get along great with yours. Also warning about the manmade white fruitless mulberry, something wrong with smoke in that too. GOTTA CLIMB HIGH AND USE A POLE ELECTRIC CHAIN SAW,,,GITTING IT DONE BUT WILL IT BE GOOD FOR MY LOPA WOOD STOVE..APPRECIATE SOME ANSWERS. The wood is locally used for charcoal and firewood. My wife even melted a stove once while I was at work when we were younger. The inside resembles red or white oak color & grain. This is my first year heating with wood. You could post in the forum and maybe have a better chance of a response. Tree of heaven (Ailanthus altissima) is an invasive plant that grows in U.S. Department of Agriculture plant hardiness zones 4 through 8. I have been clearing land of cottonwood for a hay meadow in Central Kansas and I decided to burn it. WHAT KIND OF LOCUST IS IT AND WILL IT BE A GOOD FIREWOOD IN A COUPLE OF MONTH..THANKS Around here it is just about the most common tree removed by tree services so lots of firewood guys sell it since they get it for free. And gives accurate, useable information instead of repeting old wives tales. Fascinating site! Right now, I have neighbors interested in buying some wood from me, and am waiting for permission to harvest some mulberry (the devil itself to set on fire and man, does it spark, but abundant here and as energy-rich as white oak). It is fast growing, spreading rapidly by seeds and suckers. Richard, red Oak) Sweet Gum is great for a hot fire, but burns too quickly. Required fields are marked *. TOH tends to be a city tree imported and planted. We just felled 12 mature ash trees – 12 to 24 inches in diameter, and are now bucking them up and splitting them. Keeps for a couple years at best. I’d like to burn red oak as well but it’s a little too cold for it around here. I have about a hundred of these that were cut in maintaining a power line right of way. The tulip poplar is not a poplar, it is in different family. So the math:5 cords @ $180 = $900 // 5 tonsCoal @ $75 = $375. (I’m assuming it rates as a soft maple) Luckily, our home is passive solar with super-insulated walls so it will still be worth burning. Not to mention the spikey nuts that are hard on the mower and gutters. Both put out considerably more heat than anything we have in Alaska and when it’s -30 outside you can use all the BTUs you can get. Green and I feed it one or two times per day. I made the mistake of “scoring” a cottonwood many years ago and don’t want to make that mistake again. land. I live in eastern us, southern ny area It is a decent fuel, but very heavy when green and very light when dry. Any advice as to species, training, harvest and also seasoning of smallish diameter limbs, or direction to such information, would be much appreciated. Be sure to get all the roots since a small root piece left in the soil will grow. Thanks for the listings.I burn 3-4 cords every Winter,and burn all but the softwoods.I was looking for BTU content for I had some mostly seasoned red oak , shagbark hickory , and black locust. It is impossible to split when green and easy when dry, but unless special precautions are taken it’ll rot rather than season. Zasada and Little [ 328] provide information on tree-of-heaven cultivation. Looked through posts and didn’t see if there was any mention of the BTU’s of a Norway Maple. I did My little campfire experiment to find out the best hardwood for a campfire . I can’t locate any ratings for this wood. Range of burning properties of the Australian eucalypts covers the full spectrum (and don’t even bother with wattles). These charts will give you the amount of energy per cord of wood for some of the most common firewood species. Really enjoy the contributions. Don’t know much about western woods, except that the citrus groves my wife’s family own in Mesa, AZ make tremendous wood for fires. It's shoulder season wood at best...goes up like a fart in a stiff wind. is magnolia on the list of burning trees and where is it and if its not can i have some info bout it,please. I have Hickory and just love it! Anyone have any idea of cure times, BTU output etc? In mid-summer, after the sap has risen and saturated the stump, cut it. Seasoned and dry and I’m out there every three hours. How do you burn and what type of stove do you use? Tree-of-heaven is a food for honeybees worldwide. Good for getting the fire going really quick. The data for these charts was compiled from various sources with different firewood types. Tree-of-heaven. In Kansas we used a wood called hedge. You can click on the different types of firewood in the chart to learn more about them. I took it and burned it but, the four cords went up in smoke like two cords. Tree of Heaven for firewood | Arboristsite.com Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. Nice transitional forest on our 20 acres includes black oak, manzanita, live oak, firs, oaks and cedars. We normally burn red oak in the fireplace. and keep the bedroom doors about a foot from closed to save heat. Seems most farmers are removing them now to get more acres in corn and soybeans. In regards to Splitters, I have a homemade hydraulic 28 Ton that had cycle issues. And Sandy brought down a dozen beech trees in our town. I own 60 acres here in upstate NY, 2 hours north of NYC. I burn 24/7, and use about two cords from Nov. thru Mar., with several 3-day breaks every three weeks or so when the temps are a bit higher. I’m in Melbourne, Australia. Consistency between charts will vary due to different variables between different data sources. It has kept us plenty warm every winter, we ensure we have a chimney sweep come out and check the wood stove and chimney once a year. Firewood: The Virginia Dept. I have some Hemlock and I can get some Hickory. But as one reader noted, all species have roughly the same BTU potential per pound. I have burned about every tree that grows in this county (except cottonwood and willow, which is about worthless), and the best, by far, is Osage Orange. One final note, as a kid I grew up where the streets where lined with English Walnuts and Shagbark Hickory planted around 1900 or so…kept the red tree squirrels happy (and perhaps a few mean cats). We live in the upper Mojave desert (Calif.) and pretty much have to take what wood is available to buy. Have a friend with a fireplace?, bundle about a dozen of the fat lighter sticks with a ribbon and this makes a great gift. Douglas fir is a so-called mix of sorts, as stated by others. I had about 10 mid-size logs of the black locust I burned . Thanks for posting the list of firewood species & specs. Because of the air space between the pieces of wood, the amount of solid wood in a cord may be only 70-90 cubic feet, even though the volume of the stack is 128 cubic feet. But since softwoods are usually so much less dense than hardwoods, the total energy in softwoods are usually much less than hardwoods. Is non posionous sumac ok to burn in a fire place. A friend offered me four cords of TOH split and stacked at my house. Long story short, am I wasting my time with that willow? Very smoky and almost smells acidic when it burns and it doesn’t seem to produce much flame or heat. I forgot to mention that I cut and split a Catalpa. We have burned about 7 1/2 cord and I just ran out. Forgot to mention that the softwoods, including hemlock which is something like 75% water when green, have the property of shedding their moisture much faster than the hardwoods. I live on the east coast (midatlantic area) and we have a lot of Mimosa trees. It may not display this or other websites correctly. I got a load of osage orange once and while it burned great, lots of coals, it also seemed to produce a lot of ashes. But in my opinion any kind of wood is worth cutting up and burning as long as it isn’t totally rotten or anything. I have not found it listed anywhere as rated for firewood and was wondering if it would produce enough heat to make it worthwhile for use in the fireplace. It is native to both northeast and central China and Taiwan. I live in so. Be sure to poke a couple holes to vent the gases .Then get a 55 gal drum or make a small kiln to put your bucket in .Start your fire then put the bucket in. but apperntly most people never heard of this VERY HARD AND VERY VERY HEAVY WOOD. as far as mulberry goes..i live in central nm and at some point in time someone started planting non bearing mulberry trees..the btu output is not even close to what the charts state above..our mulberry trees would be similar to burning elm wood..it grows verry fast and requires a lot of water..we dont even use it for cooking wood..of course most native wood in nm is verry hard because it takes hundreds of yrs to grow…the growth rings are so small in some cases it takes a microscope to see them..some of the juniper trees we cut for firewood ive been told were around during the time of christ..so it naturaly is going to be extremely hard wood..ive been looking for the btu output for algarita..or desert holly..where i cut my firewood its not uncommon to find these trees from 5inches to two feet around..it takes at least a yr to season..ive seen gunstocks and stair rails made from it…prety wood…anyone know?? Patricia in DE. They’re all gone around here….. I live californnia. Hedge (Osage Orange) will do the same thing. THAT’S HOW THEY DO IT! I grew up in central Illinois and we had a lot of hedge rows that were being cut. The latter is superabundant here, but is the “devil itself to split”. I’ve also heard this about black locust, which I also burn. Not many, if any in the woods here. Ailanthus / Tree Of Heaven Ailanthus altissima 0.460 Hardwood Alder, White / Rhombie Leaf Alnus rhombifolia 0.370 Hardwood Alder, Red Alnus rubra 0.370 ... Soft Wood Redwood, Giant / California Big-Tree / Giant Sequoia / Sequoia / Sierra Sequoiadendron giganteum 0.340 Soft Wood So long as you’re only burning good hardwoods and/or clean white (non-glossy/colored) paper stock and kindling, you should spread your ashes on your favorite acreage for the potash. interesting site. I live in Bedford County Va and burn what I have on my property. Lit my first fire of the season. I HAVE to burn green to keep from feeding it all day. I’ll cut a limb, and if it’s yellow inside it’s hedge. If I can find ratings for those I will add them too. Every year we have to cut several down. Don’t even bother. It’s not the best, but it will warm you. So if you remove the bark you have fewer ashes to clean out. When we’re craning wood out of the tree or hauling big Monterey pine I use the weight charts for Douglas fir since I’ve read they are almost the same density green. Tree-of-heaven wood looks like ash wood in appearance and quality. Immigrants later introduced tree-of-heaven to the West Coast in the 1850s. Back in the day they used to use the limbs for fence posts and the wood would last decades in the ground with out rotting. i have access to some and i’m wondering if its worth my time to get it. I will feed twice that amount of seasoned. The last batch I made got the temp on my grill to well over 600 degrees with just a small mound. Lots of heat and hot coals-kept us from freezing one late night at 6,000 feet in late October, while we were wasting time patroling a wildfire in NE California back in ’85. I live in southwest Oregon. Later, the tree was found to disrupt sewer systems, produce toxins that inhibited other plants from growing nearby and … Be sure and let us know how your test goes. Elm is easy to find around here . We have tons of felling oak tree’s pushed up waiting to be cut , fully seasoned too !!! We also leave the basement door partially open so as not to encourage the water pipes to freeze. Compiled from various sources. Sure, willow’s not much good, and I quit dragging it home years ago. Is Modesto Ash a soft or hard wood? Split these sections into sticks. I live in the White Mountains of Arizona. After the moisture evaporates the logs burn great . It doesn’t burn, it just smolders and stinks. Hey Mikee, your right, red oak goes fast and so does beech and elm. It burns so well I mix it with red elm, mulberry, or ash. I’m in Northwest Washington; originally from Southwest PA. We have lots of cedar, fir, hemlock, silver maple, oak, and madrona. 4 years later I still come here when I need to cut a load of firewood. When it’s cold out, I seem less lazy to get up in the middle of the night to keep the fire hot overnight. The doug fir gets the bark beetles that work away the outer layer, but if you can get the bark off the wood it will last several years. Don’t worry about the ashes your stove produces. The answer for me was a wood splitter, which does a nice job with it and the hardwoods I also use. Or would it be worth the heat and not having that pile to look at anymore? I prefer dry red elm and seasoned thorny locust. When we are burning both stoves say in January, then I’m just a wood-slave the whole day long. I use it in the brush piles, I'd rather burn particleboard in my OWB than heavenwood IMO.. that is junk we chip it and dump the bigstuf, Thanks guys, my BIL was cutting one that had fell we just hauled it to the curb. Campfires need much radiant heat to keep you warm on a chilly night . I didn’t find any data about almond wood, in your stats, and thought you might like to include it. Apple is another good secret. I have burned several cords of the stuff since then, and, when dried, makes fine fuel for the OWB. There are mine if I want them. Maybe the aroma will get better with age after seasoning this summer . I found that if you have some green (wet) wood and want to have a campfire go to your local hardware store and buy a duraflame fire log . BARK SEEMS OAKLIKE. Anyone know how this rates as firewood? If you’ve ever seen or read the “firewood poem”, the last line is “Ash wood wet and ash wood dry, a king will warm his slippers by.”. You could do a google search for barber chair tree. Here in MD was 39 today with 20mph wind. Step 3. I don’t know how they compare split and dried. Because Almond has as many varieties as the fruit in which the bare! Anyone have direct experience with this? Ailanthus altissima, commonly known as tree of heaven is a deciduous tree native to both China and Taiwan. Photo credit: Chuck Bargeron, University of Georgia, Bugwood.org. Hot fires and cold beer!!!! Ten pieces of green 20″ yellow birch or hard maple last for roughly eight hours and throw tons of heat. Most of the trees in the hedge rows were Osage Orange. My wife and I are renovating an old NE farmhouse in Massachusetts. How to Use the Tree of Heaven for Firewood Step 1. It’s not worth the time to cut, split, stack and burn. Plant parts steeped in water and said to yield an insecticidal solution. Another opinion added to the interwebs… Cheers, Happy Burning. In response to “robert” and his comment about live oak being limited to the south easter united states. I have a large sweet gum tree blown over by a storm. Output is a whole ‘nother cat. By time it is dry, there is nothing left. I think I saw on another btu chart that poplar is 17.0 , but not totally for sure. This topic was started in 2013, and I posted in 2014, on my experience with the Tree of Heaven as firewood. I like burning Birch in fireplaces but getrun away fires ( read relief valve blows @ 100 c) I burn, wild black cherry, black walnut, elm, hickory and yellow tulip. It’s a good starter wood . Less dense softwoods have less BTU per cord than more dense hardwood but they also weigh less per cord. The pecan burned good considering it wasn’t fully seasoned . Also called Chinese sumac or tree of heaven, the ailanthus tree (Ailanthus altissima) was initially used as a landscaping plant in alkaline soils and areas with extreme drought. Some campsites may be reserved at www.recreation.gov or 1-877-444-6777. Western dogwood grows along the west coast and canyon live oak is common in California and Oregon. Is it toxic? Had it rebuilt for speed and efficiency but yet to use it. If you leave oak in the woods til you need it, well, there’s lots of bugs and stuff that love to digest it. Light it then put the wet wood on top and watch the water and steam spew out of the ends . It’s close to soft maple on the btu chart plus I don’t need to go anywhere or handle it too many times. I have a Russian Olive that I cut down about 4 months ago and has been sitting in 100F weather for three weeks. THE COALS GLOW REDHOT LIKE OAK, BUT WITH HARDLY ANY HEAT. I do know the tree I burned had a bad aroma . Here are some pictures of what I believe is a "tree of heaven"(or he!! Does anyone know anything about using it for firewood. It doesn’t seem to put out much ash, but does put out some real heat. Just call them and ask about what it can handle. I am planting some of the “Eastern” varieties out here that we had in PA. I’m thrilled to read about mulberry’s quallities–there’s alot of that here in WI, Hi Gang! Ailanthus,AKA The Tree of Heaven, is a native of China. For some unknown reason, the tree that many people call "tree of heaven" or "paradise tree" after its Chinese local name, was brought to North America from the Far East in the late 1700s. It throws sparks so only should be used in stoves that can be closed. The information was gathered by internet and talking to old timers. I don’t have the ratings for that maple, but you can always weigh it and get a general idea that way. thanks. Love reading the comments from Andy. Hardwoods, ideally should be two years old, but one year is a minimum in the northeast. I am planting osage orange, black walnut, sassafrass, and black locust. Great heat as well as flavor. One of the hottest longest burning Eucalyptus Varieties is the Red Gum, we harvest up to 100 different varieties of Euc and for the heat/Btu factor Red gum is the best by far, Btu is in the mid thirties! I find black cherry and hickory give the best burning results. This wood also creates a lot of ash when burned. Great site. Probably about 5 btus per cord. I really can’t speak for pecan until I can try it seasoned . Redgum is differentiated from just about all other Australian woods for firewood, for its lasting and heat, and difficulty to get going. Do some searching on coal for a closeby source. I’ll have much pecan to burn this fall , we cut a huge tree . They had a good mid-size flame and burned a long time. Burns hotter than any wood I have ever seen, is becoming rare and may be protected in some areas. I just split and stacked 4 yr supply of silver maple, so I’m sorry to see how low its BTU rating is. since i’m now retired it sure is nice to cut on my schedule. George, it’s a bit cooler up here in the lower Hudson Valley, and we’ve been burning in the 18th C. Dutch hearth since Hurricane Sandy. Please leave your comments or questions on those pages if you have experience or questions about those types of firewood. It’s the worst wood I’ve ever encountered. If some of the wood is used for construction, there is a net decrease in CO2 from the activity. cure time is at least 2 years covered,found a rating of 16 mil btus per cord but it was rated as poor firewood. Dogwood, apple and the “smaller” trees burn good but are only for small fires (late spring or early fall when you don’t want a fire to last all day) If you are serious about heating your home with wood just stick to these trees for the max in BTU’s..they burn hot and clean. We like to go ahead and cut the stump in 9″ sections. Persimmon is a good secret,burns hot and long. It is a hot burning wood and is very heavy to move. It is quite old and is hanging over mine and my neighbors drive ways. In the fireplace, it is consumed due to the extreme heat of the wood, and the wood burns just as if it has been dead for several years. Big Wood. of Forestry lists Ailanthus as having a heating value comparable to other hardwoods when dried properly, but we keep finding rumors all over that it burns too fast to be really useful. If you burn coal, you are leaving a destiny of death and starvation for your descendents and mine! If I come across more apple I will cut it . I will burn some of the lesser wood, ie. Hemlock has the strange property of the trunk being soft, but the branches, especially the knots where they meet the trunk are very hard, so bucking the trunk requires planning. That's a good use for a nasty invasive species, IMO. My wife and I just purchased 12.5 acres of old growth hard wood forest in Pembroke, NY (Sugar Maple, Beech, Cherry, Ash to name a few) and will be on my way there today to give the Stihl a work out !!! I guess it’s people like these that make for an interesting world. I have burned Ailanthus for several years. Burns with a big bright flame and burns sorta slow . Your web site is very informative. I think many of us are a little envious of the river bottom land you have and the great hardwoods you have access to. It’s quite nice really, light to handle, splits like nothing and puts off a nice blue flame at the coals. Then fill it with fist size chunks of natural wood , then put the lid on . IT IS USELESS FOR FIREWOOD BECAUSE OF THE LITTLE/NO HEAT OUTPUT, BUT MAINLY IT’S TOO DANGEROUS TO BURN INDOORS, AS IT POPS AND EXPLODES AND THROWS SPARKS EVERYWHERE. I have to say, I’ve tried Red Oak and not impressed. Most that I have seen have been huge. Step 2. (red) just now brought back a load of beech. Cottonwood (we refer it as Waterwood) is worthless. Resinous wood has more BTU per pound because the resins have more BTU per pound than wood fiber has, Live Oak,Chinquapin,and Dogwood are eastern species,not Western.Live Oak is limited to Southeastern States. The metal on our fire pit melted . Ailanthus. The two common types found in these parts are “tall shrubs” or “small trees”, depending on site characteristics… They are in the Rose family. The tree of heaven can be used as a firewood. Some of the wood got wet and got punky real quick. Cut all bare limbs into lengths suitable for use as firewood, usually 16 or 17 inches. I BELIEVE THE CEDAR HE’S TALKING ABOUT IS INCENSE CEDAR. Many use digger pine as it is reasonably priced, but requires that yearly clean out. Maybe less in some places with more sun and less humidity, but still they take a long time. You best be looking over your shoulder as you drive home with your coal! Also, box elm burns decent but it stinks. cajun, Any BTU rating for Russian olive? I live in Oregon(Portland) and have used all the local species for both fireplace and stove heat. i think it’s red pine or red elm.. i live in central nm in the foothills of the rocky mtns,our primary firewood is shaggy bark juniper..we just call it scrub cedar..and there are several distinct kinds,yellow-grows extremely slow burns verry hot,red-softer burns up faster-aligator bark juniper-the softest of the 3 less btu…then we have pinyon…i dont burn this wood because it plugs my heat exchange unit up..dosent put out much heat and smokes like crazy..then there is scrub oak…it burns about the same as any kind of oak..pine and fir..blue spruce..no heat..chineese elm..hard to split little more heat than red scrub cedar..not much..so as far as firewood goes i would give the shaggy bark juniper the highest rating..i also have a house by lake texoma in tx right in the middle of an emense hardwood forest..oak..hickory..maple..american elm..birch..ect..ect..and when im there i burn mostly yellow oak..and hickory,but i like the juniper from nm much better..i dont think the btu rating this chart has for it is correct..im sure its not, i saw a coment on salt cedar above,what you are burning is juniper..or scrub cedar,salt cedar is a completely diferent kind of wood altogether..it grows along the riverbanks of nm and arizona..and i think its scrub syacamore..sorry about the spelling..but it is a verry hard wood..not sure of its btu rating..but i would still rather burn the scrub cedar..or juniper as they call it..salt cedar grows close to water,along with chineese elm and cottonwood in the lower elivations of the two states it does burn quite hot though..im prety sure its a kind of syacamore..close to the btu russian olive would produce..also fine wood for burning, im fron centeral missouri and our elm american or red will not burn in fact it is called p*** elm for reason. The apple is a good secret that most wood burners never thought of . Everyone has these charts but none of the wood listed is available here in Southern Cal. True story. It was planted in US cities because of the ability to grow in polluted environments. One Ailanthus species native to Melasia, Ailanthus integrifolia, can reach heights up to 200 feet (60 meters) and may be the original source for the common name, aylanto— tree of heaven. Cal., I really miss having Live Oak and Eucalypyus to burn. Nobody seems able to beat 3 second cycle for efficiency for single splitters. Tree-of-heaven is grown commercially as a host for Attacus cynthia, a silkworm that produces coarse, durable silk in China. All the old timer’s around only burn oak and turn their nose up at fir. If you’re going to load up your wood stove with the big stuff overnight, you might consider leaving the air intake barely cracked open. Where's it from? Wood with lots of air in it has a lower BTU content because there is less cellulose (burnable material). thanks, The ongoing extinction of the Ash,all species,is supplying I’m new to burning wood in an open fireplace. Fees: Family Campsites are $15 per night. Have also taken large quantities of red oak (everyone’s favorite) and red maple (the poor man’s oak), and smaller amounts of cherry (nice smell), beech (hot stuff), yellow birch (great smell), white oak, and sweetgum. I get up in the morning and heat our little berm home from 66-67 to 71-74 degrees with cottonwood and red elm in an hour and a half with cottonwood providing the bulk of the heat.

tree of heaven firewood

Running Cartoon Funny, Facebook Message Delivered But Not Seen, Car Headrest Dvd Player With Wifi, No7 Dark Circle Corrector, Cupcake Png Outline,