It was written by Keith Packard in 2000 and was first released with XFree86 version 4.0.1. System Properties for All Platforms opengl. Some features may be incomplete and it is recommended to use the OpenGL mode if possible. It appears that WSL doesn't currently have much if any support for hardware acceleration with OpenGL, so you should set your KDE Plasma window compositor to run on the Xrender backend rather than OpenGL 2 or 3.1. Since many operations require transparency (for example spatial anti-aliasing, especially during font rasterization, and transparency effects in window managers, such as transparent windows or menus), this limitation caused problems, and Xrender was implemented to address it. The exact steps are described in this document. OpenGl fails because of an error or ; it does not enable OpenGl because it detects that the graphics card or the graphics driver is not "safe" to run with OpenGl. KWIN_PLASMA_ACTIVE. Writing a single OpenGL application that runs on all platforms is quite difficult, even for simple objects. Builds XRender based compositing support KWIN_BUILD_OPENGL_1_COMPOSITING. This page was last edited on 23 December 2012, at 17:44. Intended use: To enable the OpenGL-based pipeline, which provides hardware acceleration. As an example for implementing a new Compositor this commit can be used. However, the standard X protocol only allows drawing with solid color, so the only way to achieve transparency is to fetch the background color from the screen, mix it with the object color, then write it back, which is fairly inefficient.[2]. Over the last few months the KWin development team worked on bringing the Window Manager for KDE's Plasma workspaces to mobile devices. Show your love for KDE! XRender; OpenGL 1; OpenGL (ES) 2; with OpenGL 1 and 2 sharing a lot of code. The specific compositors are implemented as a sub class of the abstract base class KWin::Scene and a few more classes. Default: Enabled for KDE_PLATFORM_PROFILE not Desktop The Activities system has been redesigned making it easier to take advantage of them. Nevertheless it should be ported as users of the XRender compositor would benefit from a port to xcb. As of 2011[update] it serves primarily to implement antialiased fonts, but for example KWin, KDE’s window manager uses it to draw drop shadows and translucency in case OpenGL is not available. Многие эффекты не доступны с XRender. Geometric figures are rendered by client-side tessellation into either triangles or trapezoids. Learn how and when to remove these template messages, Learn how and when to remove this template message, "Design and Implementation of the X Rendering Extension", High Performance X Servers in the Kdrive Architecture, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=X_Rendering_Extension&oldid=904738614, Articles lacking in-text citations from April 2011, Articles lacking reliable references from April 2011, Articles with multiple maintenance issues, Articles containing potentially dated statements from 2011, All articles containing potentially dated statements, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 4 July 2019, at 06:02. [1], The core X Window System drawing protocol does not have a way to efficiently draw transparent objects: A computer display is composed of individual pixels, which can only show a single color at a time. I had a really strange problem on my laptop where KDE / the whole system got very slow after browsing / watching youtube videos. My primary use of compton is to get rid of tearing (I use GTX 560 Ti & Dell U2711). When using Anydesk to connect to my home computer running Arch Linux I experience severe graphical glitches (flickering) when I remote in. The Plasma Workspaces have seen both polish in existing functionality as well as the introduction of significant new innovations extending Plasma's capabilities further towards a more semantic, task-driven workflow. I notice there is an option under Settings/Display and Monitor/Compositor to change the rendering backend for the desktop effects. Builds support for KDE's Activity concept. My primary use of compton is to get rid of tearing (I use GTX 560 Ti & Dell U2711). Does anybody has a idea where to look (e.g. As an example for implementing a new Compositor this commit can be used. The porting has a low priority for the core KWin team as the default compositing backend is OpenGL and it is possible to disable building KWin with XRender support. Thus transparency can only be achieved by mixing the colors of the transparent object to be drawn with the background color (alpha compositing). I can only enable them by setting composition type to XRender and I can not set them to openGl. Desktop OpenGL, OpenGL/ES 1.1, and OpenGL/ES 2.0 use different function names, and shaders versus fixed function pipelines. Hi, by playing around with KDE 4.1 I have switched from OpenGL to XRender by accident. This has required porting the compositing code to OpenGL ES 2.0, the open graphics API for programmable embedded graphics hardware. virtual machines) and uses mostly the CPU for rendering. With the migration of KWin's codebase to git, the code was imported into the master development tree to be part There are two choices here: OpenGL (3D) and XRender (2D). The bug is there for years - tearning video, tearning windows, and so on. I'm using XFCE 4.10 on Arch Linux (3.14.4) with Nvidia drivers (337.19). XRender mode. KWIN_BUILD_ACTIVITIES. It's defaulted to OpenGL 2.0 on my machine, but is there any benefit in using OpenGL 3.1? System Settings > Compositor > OpenGL => XRender. config files) so I can revert the changes by hand? Its design was influenced by rio, the windowing system for Plan 9. The specific compositors are implemented as a sub class of the abstract base class KWin::Scene and a few more classes. Many effects are not available with XRender. You'll miss out a few OpenGL desktop window transition effects, but the MASSIVE boost in performance should be well worth it. Nevertheless it should be ported as users of the XRender compositor would benefit from a port to xcb. With the migration of KWin's codebase to git, the code was imported into the master development tree to be part It provides several rendering operations and also does alpha blending. KDE is happy to announce the immediate availability of Plasma Desktop and Plasma Netbook 4.6. I'm using XFCE 4.10 on Arch Linux (3.14.4) with Nvidia drivers (337.19). It is nothing quantitative, but when scrolling long pages in Firefox or looking at how desktop behaves when 'fade away' effect is enabled, I feel that OpenGL performance isn't as good as XRender. It would be nice to have Invert effect for XRender without opengl (where opengl is not working (most GPU)) in KDE. Thank you so much for pointing this out! KWIN_PLASMA_ACTIVE. You'll miss out a few OpenGL desktop window transition effects, but the MASSIVE boost in performance should be well worth it. KDE is an open community of friendly people who want to create a world in which everyone has control over their digital life and enjoys freedom and privacy. Compton does its job perfectly when running compton --config /dev/null --backend xrender --vsync opengl. The header file is xcb/xcb_renderutil.h. The Compositing type allows choice of the compositing backend, either XRender or OpenGL. Contrary what manual says, for me GLX backend is significantly slower than xrender. Flickering stops when I change Compositor Rendering Back-end To OpenGL 3 and then change again to OpenGL 2. Purchase books, mugs, apparel, and more to support KDE. Nvidia and AMD cards usually fall into this category, although the AMD/ATI drivers may vary … One of KWin's compositing backends is based on XRender. XRender; OpenGL 1; OpenGL (ES) 2; with OpenGL 1 and 2 sharing a lot of code. One of KWin's compositing backends is based on XRender. In ~/home//.kde/share/config/kwinrc the use of OpenGl can be forced by adding the following lines to the compositing-section: It is possible to use XRender for compositing instead of the default OpenGL. Switching the compositor from OpenGL to Xrender stops this from happening. Contents 1 History Builds support for KDE's Activity concept. As soon as I reboot howerver, KDE comes up with no desktop effects. Those three ways are: On the CPU with no help from the GPU using the raster engine; Using X11/Xrender with the X11 engine; Using OpenGL with the OpenGL engine Default: ON. KWIN_BUILD_ACTIVITIES. Before starting to work on it, it might be a good idea to have a look at the X Rendering Extension Protocol Specification as the API is derived from the protocol description. It is designed to target the 3D graphics capabilities of newer video cards. Content is available under, X Rendering Extension Protocol Specification, https://community.kde.org/index.php?title=KWin/Xcb&oldid=28609, Note: in Qt 5 a QPixmap does no longer reference an X11 Pixmap. I could try OpenGL compositing but I feel it isn't quite there. Default: ON (OFF for GLES only builds) Builds OpenGL 1 based compositing support Since 4.10, Removed in 5.0. Although it's technically not needed to port everything, we want to port all of KWin over to XCB as XCB has many advantages over XLib, most important that it is an async API. It appears that WSL doesn't currently have much if any support for hardware acceleration with OpenGL, so you should set your KDE Plasma window compositor to run on the Xrender backend rather than OpenGL 2 or 3.1. Default: ON (OFF for GLES only builds) Builds OpenGL 1 based compositing support Since 4.10, Removed in 5.0. In order to go to Qt 5 KWin needs to be ported from XLib to XCB. XRender. When I try to switch back to OpenGL it says alwaysthat it is not possible, because of the Desptop effects. Default: Enabled for KDE_PLATFORM_PROFILE not Desktop This disables pretty much every desktop effect, while keeping the compositor semi-enabled. This has required porting the compositing code to OpenGL ES 2.0, the open graphics API for programmable embedded graphics hardware. The porting has a low priority for the core KWin team as the default compositing backend is OpenGL and it is possible to disable building KWin with XRender support. It is because KDE (plasma) falls back to Xrender if . KDE is happy to announce the immediate availability of Plasma Desktop and Plasma Netbook 4.6. I can even switch to openGl and everything is fine. Contrary to what is stated here, I can report much better performance using OpenGL instead of Xrender with Intel HD Graphics on Kubuntu 12.04. The X Rendering Extension (Render or XRender) is an extension to the X11 core protocol to implement image compositing in the X server, to allow an efficient display of transparent images. The X Rendering Extension (Render or XRender) is an extension to the X11 core protocol to implement image compositing in the X server, to allow an efficient display of transparent images. KDE 4.7.1 Changelog : KDE.org Changes in KDE 4.7.1 kdelibs[ all SVN changes ] khtml Bugfixes: Fix konqueror freeze when rendering some tables with zero colspan/rowspan. The X Rendering Extension (Render or XRender) is an extension to the X11 core protocol to implement image compositing in the X server, to allow an efficient display of transparent images. I am facing flickering in KDE Plasma 5.4. The invert Effect is a real useful effect because it helps one to read text for longer duration without straining the eyes. Compton does its job perfectly when running compton --config /dev/null --backend xrender --vsync opengl. The Plasma Workspaces have seen both polish in existing functionality as well as the introduction of significant new innovations extending Plasma's capabilities further towards a more semantic, task-driven workflow. I don't feel like bothering with transitions today, so find your own way from beards and dwarfs to Qt/KDE graphics. Great hint regarding tearing - for me it already completely went away by switching from XRender to OpenGL 3.1, no other settings were needed :-) – Torsten Römer Jan 22 '17 at 18:31 Solution is to fix Xrender, or teach Xfwm4 to use OpenGL, or use Compiz. Многие эффекты не доступны с XRender. The exact steps are described in this document. Contents 1 History Default: ON. Nevertheless it should be ported as users of the XRender compositor would benefit from a port to xcb. I'm using the proprietary nvidia driver, if that makes a difference. Tearing is caused by Xrender (which is used to composition in Xfwm4), which can't sync (I can't belive that, but it's true). One of KWin's compositing backends is based on XRender. The porting has a low priority for the core KWin team as the default compositing backend is OpenGL and it is possible to disable building KWin with XRender support. The login hangs were gone after updating to 16.10, so unfortunately I cannot confirm but I am sure it does solve the issue. January, 26th 2011. Builds XRender based compositing support KWIN_BUILD_OPENGL_1_COMPOSITING. XRender доступен даже если драйвер OpenGL не установлен (например, виртуальные машины) и использует в основном центральный процессор для отрисовки. I have diabled nearly everything, but still not possible to switch back to OpenGL. There is also a render-util library available for which unfortunately the API documentation is lacking. Contrary what manual says, for me GLX backend is significantly slower than xrender. I hope I'm reporting this correctly and to the right place. KDE 4.7.1 Changelog : KDE.org Changes in KDE 4.7.1 kdelibs[ all SVN changes ] khtml Bugfixes: Fix konqueror freeze when rendering some tables with zero colspan/rowspan. By right clicking to the window title, you can now make applications and files part o… OS: KUbuntu 15.04 Graphics: Intel HD 4000 XRender доступен даже если драйвер OpenGL не установлен (например, виртуальные машины) и использует в основном центральный процессор для отрисовки. Qt, and therefore KDE, deals with 3 predominant ways of rendering graphics. KDE is an open community of friendly people who want to create a world in which everyone has control over their digital life and enjoys freedom and privacy. When I boot with KDE desktop effects Compositing type set to XRender all works. So Qt/3D is an extension to the normal Qt OpenGL module. If you are interested in working on one of the parts just add yourself to the specific item. Over the last few months the KWin development team worked on bringing the Window Manager for KDE's Plasma workspaces to mobile devices. This document is used to keep track of various parts which need to be ported and to organize an collaborative approach towards the porting. XRender mode in general has less features, at the moment it is also considered unstable since it has not received as much testing as OpenGL mode. From my experience, graphics cards with good 3D hardware and drivers should always use OpenGL. Re: KWin compositing only in XRender mode / unable to use OpenGL Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:26 pm Since you are using KDE 4.3, it is likely you have found a bug in the operation of KWin's desktop effects with multiple screens ( probably due to the lack of using Kephal ) XRender is available even if no OpenGL driver is installed (e.g. Text is drawn by loading the glyphs into the server and rendering as a group. XRender is also used in some effects directly and this is actually a good task to work on as the code areas are small and easy to verify. By default OpenGL is used which is hardware accelerated.